The Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth is a constituent member of the Anglican Communion. The Anglican Communion is a fellowship within the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church, consisting of those duly constituted Dioceses, Provinces and regional churches in communion with the See of Canterbury, upholding and propagating the historic Faith and Order as set forth in the Old and New Testaments and expressed in the Book of Common Prayer. Our Bishop is the Right Rev. Ryan Reed.
The Seal of the Diocese of Fort Worth
The Diocese of Fort Worth was formed in 1982 from the western half of the Diocese of Dallas. The Official Seal of the Diocese was designed by the first Bishop of the Diocese of Fort Worth, the Right Reverend Donald Davis.
On the seal, Fort Worth – The See City, is indicated by the gold fortress battlements that divide the shield. The black longhorn steer, a symbol of a major industry within the Diocese, is also a reminder of the frontier spirit and the venturesome nature of the people of God in this part of the country. The two silver rivers in the blue base, are a symbol of God’s nourishment of the created order. The Trinity and Brazos rivers link Fort Worth with other dioceses and peoples in Texas: The Trinity River Links Fort Worth with Dallas, the Brazos River with other dioceses in Texas. The white star on blue stands for Texas. The upper half of the shield is red. In quarter one is a green canton, edged in gold, upon which appears a griffin rampant clutching a crozier. These visual elements were borrowed from the personal seal of the Right Rev. Alexander Charles Gannett, First Bishop of Dallas (1874-1924), who was of Irish ancestry. Bishop Gannett used the griffin to indicate our heritage with the Church of England.
The two rivers are further symbolized: the Trinity River by the Trinity design of the handle of the key; and the Brazos River by the choice of the Spanish motto, “LOS BRAZOS DE DIOS.” or,”The Arms of God.”The inscription reads,”THE SEAL OF THE EPISCOPAL DIOCESE OF FORT WORTH + 1983.”