The word Garth is derived from the old Scandinavian word for “a yard, or a The word Garth is derived from the old Scandinavian word for “a yard, or a garden.” Garth’s have been an important part of the Christian landscape for over 1000 years. Historically, they have been cloistered areas set aside for silence and prayer.
The Garth is the forerunner to the Churchyard or sacred ground for Christian burial. The Garth at St. John’s combine both these historic roles. It’s an habitat for God’s beautiful creatures. The careful planting cycles celebrate the wonder of God’s Creation. The Garth is consecrated for the Christian burial of cremains. The Garth has has a beautiful white marble statue of St. Francis of Assisi.
There is no charge for the interment of cremated remains. If the family desires a bronze plaque with the name and dates the cost $200.00 to have made. The plaque is ordered through the Parish Office. For more information, or when making your burial arrangements please speak with the Rector.